Compatibility in Indian astrology
The Hindu/Indian system of examining compatibility based on horoscopes of the aspirant couple is unique. Horoscope matching is an art of the highest ingenuity of an astrologer. The fundamental concept of matching horoscopes emanates from constellations occupied by the Moon at the time of births of bride and bridegroom. Individuals inherit qualities of the birth constellation. Various constellations represent different nature in respect of their casts, animals presented by them, sex, Gana (God/man/demon), humour, birds ruled, primordial elements, Gotra, directions ruled, consonants and vowels, mutual harmony and repulsion with certain stars, beneficence to the other stars by virtue of mutual distance etc.
In addition, a host of other factors such as longevity of the individuals, character (sexual), widowhood, poverty, progeny, body status, radical strengths and indications, planetary nature and afflictions, currency of major and minor periods, Marakaas (death inflicting planets), placement of Mars in their nativity (Mangal Dosha), time of query, omen (Shagun), antidotes, propitiations, auspicious time for marriage etc. should be examined to arrive at a suitable union of the couple.
Based on the birth constellations, the following aspects are examined Varna, Vashya, Tara, Yoni, Gana, Graha Maitri, Bhakoota, Nadi, Mahendra, Vedha, Rajju, Stree Deergha, Linga, Gotra, Pakshi, Chandra Yoga, Ayya Varga and Yujja for checking compatibility.
In another system, only eight of these factors are given importance and are assigned numeric values – Varna (1 point), Vashya (2 Points), Tara (3 points), Yoni (4 points), Graha Maitri (5 points), Gana (6 points), Bhakoota (7 points) and Nadi (8 points). The total of these factors adds up to 36 points and a horoscope is considered to be matched only if the compatibility score is more than 18.
Significance of various aspects in compatibility are as follows:
- Varna: Grade of spiritual development, obedience
- Vashya: Mutual control � friendship.
- Tara: Mutual beneficence-luck-auspiciousness
- Yoni: Sexual aspects, affinity, urge, compatibility.
- Graha Maitri: Psychological disposition, friendship.
- Gana: Nature: Dev � Manush � Raakshas
- Bhakoota: Children, growth of family.
- Nadi: Temperaments, hereditary (astrological), affliction and death to other
- Mahendra: Promotes attachments, increase in longevity.
- Stree � Dergha: Service to husband.
- Rajju: Felicity and duration of married life.
- Vedha � Varga: Mutual repellence and enmity.
- Varga: Mutual friendship/enmity judged from their names
- Yujja: Type of mutual love � from one side � both sides.
Based on the above aspects, mathematical computation is performed to find a match. In certain cases need based matching is done and the astrologer has to use his skills in examining compatibility. It is felt essential to match the horoscopes before further marriage negotiations are done. The above system is in practice for the last two millennia.